With Valentine's Day being tomorrow, it is important to remember the true meaning of the day!
Valentine's day is a time to remember and appreciate all the types of love in our life. The love we have with our significant other, our friend, our family and let us not forget self-love!
It is very easy to get caught up in the rush of our day to day lives. As such we forget to make ourselves a priority. Self love is prioritising our own happiness and well-being, and taking care of our mind and body. Yoga is a great way to enhance our happiness and well-being.
Here are 5 heart opening poses for you to try for Valentine's Day! These poses are designed to activate your heart chakra, the place where love, relationships and emotional balance is generated.
1. Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
- Camel Pose is an ultimate heart opener, it works by creating space in the heart centre and chest.
- Camel Pose is also beneficial in the fact that it works by improving hip, spinal and shoulder flexibility.
2. Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
- A perfect back bend for beginners.
- When holding this pose for several breaths you will feel your chest expand and your heart open up.
- Cobra pose is also fantastic for your spine and improves your posture.
3. Reverse Plank (Purvottanasana)
- Whilst opening through the heart this pose is also a fantastic stretch for the entire front body.
- Additionally, with all the physical space this pose creates in the body it also leads to a more open mind and heart.
4. Wheel Pose (Urdhva Dhanurasana)
- Great for strengthening and increasing whole body mobility.
- Wheel pose expands your chest and stretches the intercostal muscles used when breathing.
- Wheel pose is considered one of the greatest heart openers, so during this pose you have a prime opportunity to fully open up and let all the love in.
5. Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
- Another excellent heart opening yoga pose.
- Bow pose is a rejuvenating backbend.
- Bow Pose strengthens your back muscles, increases circulation, improves digestion and posture while stretching the entire front body.
I challenge you to give yourself the gift of wellness this Valentine's day and practice these heart openers. Not only are these poses physically able to open through your chest muscles they offer an incredible release of emotion and bring you into a peaceful state of mind.